Are you going to have a girl and are you thinking of the name Katie as a possible option? This name is the Russian form of the Greek name Aikaterine and has a very beautiful and special meaning. Keep reading this article to discover what the true meaning of the name Katia is , as well as all the details about its origin, etymology, personality, translations into other languages, popularity, etc. Katie is a girl’s name.
What does katia mean?
The meaning of the name Katia is “pure” or “chaste”. It is said that women named Katia are associated with adjectives such as innocent, immaculate or young.
Origin of the name Katie
The origin of Katia is Russian , it is the Russian form of the name of Greek origin “Aikaterine” . There are several theories about the etymology of this name: You might be interested to know more about meaning of name Samuel.
- Some claim that it comes from «εκατερος» (hekateros), which means “one of the two” or “either”.
- Others claim that it comes from Hecate, who was the god of the earth, the moon and fertility. In the Christian tradition, Hecate’s name is related to the Greek root «καθαρος» (katharós), which means “pure”, “chaste”. This is the most accepted theory associated with the meaning of the name Katerine and, therefore, of the name Katia.
Diminutives and variations of the name Katia
The most used diminutives of Katia are Kat and Kati.
As for the variations of the name Katia, we find:
- catia in italian
- Katerina, Katya, Katenka and Katyusha in Russian
- Katya in Ukrainian
- katya in bulgarian
The name Katya in other languages
- Spanish: Catherine
- English: Katherine, Catherine, Cathleen, Katheryn, Kathie, Kathi
- Catalan: Catherine
- Italian: Catia
- Danés: Cathrine, Katarina, Kathrine, Katja, Katrine, Caja, Ina, Kaja, Karen, Karin, Katharina, Trine
- Inglés: Catalina, Carine, Karine
- Iceland: Katrin, Karen
- Portuguese: Catarina, Cátia
Personality of the name Katia
The name Katia defines a lonely, independent, perfectionist, kind and persevering woman. She is not afraid of loneliness, in fact, she likes to spend a lot of time alone and dedicate time to herself. However, this does not mean that she does not like to be surrounded by her own from time to time, she is a person very loved by her family and friends and she also enjoys the company of her loved ones.
She is also a very thoughtful woman, with a great personality and kindness. She helps her friends and family whenever they need it and she really does it from the heart, she adores her loved ones and cares about making them feel good at all times.
At work, Katia feels good when she is independent, her own boss and able to make her own decisions. She is very persevering and will do everything possible to achieve her professional dream.
In love, she is a very tender and affectionate woman. She is looking for a partner who gives her security and with whom she can enjoy a stable and lasting love relationship.
Celebrities with the name Katia
- Katia Cardenal: Nicaraguan singer-songwriter.
- Katia Aveiro: sister of soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo and Portuguese singer.
- Katia Palma: Peruvian actress, singer and television presenter.
- Katia Condos: Peruvian actress and presenter.
- Katia Abreu: Brazilian politician and psychologist.
Saint Katia’s Day
The day of the Saint of Katia is April 29, which coincides with the celebration of Santa Catalina.
Numerology of the name Katia
According to numerology, the number associated with Katia’s name is 6.
Popularity of the first name Katya
In Spain, there are 2,292 women named Katia with an average age of 27.8 years. According to the National Statistics Institute (INE), this girl’s name is more popular in the following Spanish provinces:
- A Coruña
- the palms
- Santa Cruz of Tenerife